The Commonwealth of Virginia is committed to a Clean Energy Policy with three overarching goals: addressing climate change, promoting environmental justice, and prioritizing economic competitiveness and workforce development. The Virginia Clean Economy Act (VCEA) of 2020 establishes a mandatory renewable portfolio standard to deliver the vast majority of electricity from 100 percent renewable sources by 2045 and the rest by 2050, creates an energy efficiency resource standard and sets the highest energy storage goal in the country. The VCEA is a key driver in a portfolio of legislation and executive orders since 2018 that serves as a roadmap to achieve the Commonwealth’s Clean Energy Policy to reach net-zero carbon emissions across all sectors of Virginia’s economy by 2045 and reaching net-zero carbon in the electric power sector by 2040.
- Virginia Clean Economy Act
- Portfolio of clean energy legislation and executive orders since 2018
- Virginia Energy Plan; Commonwealth Energy Policy Legislation
- Virginia Commonwealth’s Clean Energy Policy Code
- Clean Energy Virginia Progress Dashboard
- Clean Energy and Community Flood Preparedness Act
- Clean Cars bill